In our family, having SPAM is a treat! We like to combine SPAM with Kimchee. The combination is simply awesome. :) You like SPAM? You like Kimchee? You like eggs? Then this dish will sure to satisfy your taste buds. As usual, you can adjust how spicy by adding more chili paste or kimchee.
Ingredients:Rice (long grain) - 4 cups (after cooked) *see TIPS
Kimchee - 1/3 cups (chopped)
Chicken breast - 1 (diced)
Spam - half a can (diced)
Spinach - handful
Garlic (optional) - 2 cloves (minced)
Green onion - 2 stalks (chopped)
[Fried Rice seasoning]
Kojujyan (Korean chili paste) - 2-3 TBS *see TIPS
Soy sauce - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 TBS
Water or chicken stock - 3-4 TBS
salt & pepper to taste
Eggs - 5 (beaten)
Soy sauce - 1 tsp
Salt & Pepper - dash
Milk (optional) - 3 TBS (*see TIPS)
- Cut chicken breast and Spam in small cubes. Season chicken breast cubes with salt and pepper.
- Chop Kimchee into smaller pieces.
- If you want to add garlic, mince it finely.
- Wash spinach and set it aside. If you are using a whole spinach, cut them into smaller pieces.
- Chop green onion into small pieces.
- Mix fried rice seasoning in a bowl.
- In separate bowl, beat 5 eggs and add other ingredients for omelet. Set is aside.
|Chop the ingredients|
- In a wok or frying pan, heat 1 TBS of oil. Add spam and fry until somewhat crispy around the edges. Add in chicken. Cook until chicken is almost done.
- Add in chopped kimchee. Fry until well integrated (couple of minutes).
- Add in spinach, garlic and green onion and cook for another minute.
- Add in rice. Stir fry for couple of minutes. Add the fried rice seasoning (little bit at a time) and fry for additional 3-5 minutes.
- On a separate frying pan or on the one you were using for the fried rice (dish out rice on a bowl). Oil the pan. Pour enough egg mixture to make a thin layer of egg.
- Add about a cup to a cup and a half of fried rice on the bottom half of the egg. Fold the top half of the egg towards the bottom (so it looks like it's closing).
- Bring a plate close to the frying pan and slide and flip the eggs/rice on the plate.
|Make a thin layer with eggs|
|Put 1-2 cups of cooked fried rice on the bottom side of the eggs|
|Bring the top half and fold it in half|
- Serve omelet with mayo, ketchup or more chili sauce.
- Rice - rice kept over night works the best, but if you are making the day of, just make the rice few hours in advance and turn the power off after it finished cooking. Open the rice cooker lid.
- Chili paste - you can use any type of chili sauce/paste.
- Milk in the omelet make it fluffy.