This sweet and spicy beef will make you want to eat more rice. I can't eat too spicy, so every time I attempt making spicy food, it turns out 'sweet & spicy.' My husband is from Singapore and they eat spicy food there. But after he got married to me, I think he can't tolerate the spicy food like he used to. My challenge to myself is to learn how to appreciate spicy food and cook some for my husband. :)
Ingredients:Beef - 1.5 lbs (thinly sliced)
Onion - 1/2 (sliced)
Kojujyan (Korean chili paste) - 4 TBS or more if you want it to be more spicy
Sugar - 4 TBS
Soy sauce - 2 TBS
Salt - 1 tsp
Sesame oil - 2 tsp
Oyster sauce - 2tsp
Minced garlic - 2 cloves
Ginger juice - 1 TBS
Oil for stir fry
Spinach - whole bunch (for veggie garnish on the side)
Sesame oil & salt - 1 tsp each (when frying spinach)
- Cut beef in thin slices (if you bought chunk meet).
- Cut onion in slices.
- In a bowl, mix the marinade together with beef and onion. Cover and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour (longer the better!).
- Wash spinach and set it aside.
|grate ginger first|
|Squeeze the ginger juice!|
|Slice the meat as thinly as possible|
|Mix in the marinade|
|Ready to go in the fridge!|
- Heat the wok or frying pan with 2 TBS of oil.
- Fry the meat/onion in pan until beef is done (it doesn't have to be well-done, if you prefer). Add about 2 TBS of water to the bowl you used for marinade, get the sauce on the bowl, and add to the meat. Let it simmer for few minutes.
- Fry spinach with 1/2 TBS of oil and 2 tsp of sesame oil. You can add sesame seeds if you want.
|Frying in a wok|
|Add some water in the bowl and get the sauce around|
|Fry until almost caramelized|
- Serve on hot rice. Put the meat on top of the rice and surround them with spinach.
- Serve with soup, salad, or pickled vegetables.
- You can use any meat - pork, chicken, turkey, etc.
- If you live near Asian market, they usually have already thinly sliced meat packets. Those are easier to work with since no matter how hard I try, I can't cut as thinly as they do! haha.. Plus it saves your time.