My friend taught me how to make this amazing vegetarian pizza. The whole wheat crust is very light, so you don't feel 'heavy' after eating the pizza. If you love thin crust pizza, this is a must-try! My daughter and my friends' children loved it so it'll be a big hit for your whole family. It's good to have friends who can cook. :)
Whole wheat flour - 2 1/2 cups
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Dry active yeast - 2 packages (4 and half tsp or 0.5 oz)
Salt - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Lukewarm water- 1 and 1/2 cups
Olive oil - 1/2 tsp
[Homemade Pizza sauce]
Tomato paste - 1 can (12oz)
Tomato sauce - 1 can (16oz)
Italian seasoning - 2 TBS
Onion - 1 small (diced)
Garlic - 2 cloves (minced)
Sugar - 1 TBS
Salt - pinch
Olive oil - 2 TBS
Mushroom - 1 package (about 10 mushrooms)
Bell peppers - 2 (your choice of colors - red, orange, yellow or green)
Olives - 1 can (as much as you want)
Onion - 1 med
Mozzarella cheese - a lot
- Make the pizza dough:
- In a bowl, combine sugar, yeast and lukewarm water. Let it stand for about 10 minutes.
- Add in flour, salt and olive oil with the yeast mixture.
- Knead (using Kitchenaid mixer or your hands) for 10 minutes.
- Let it sit and rise for about an hour.
- Over medium heat, saute onion in olive oil until light brown.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until desired thickness.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- When the dough is ready, take the desired amount of dough and using your hands and fingers, stretch the dough to about 0.5cm (0.2 inch) thick on a floured surface. Make sure the dough is evenly stretched. You can use your knuckle to stretch it out.
- Spread on the pizza sauce.
- Put the cheese on top of the sauce, followed by the toppings. Put more cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 12-13 minutes.
- My friend served the pizza with yummy fruit smoothies.
- You can make the pizza sauce few days in advance.