Bak kuh teh is a popular dish in Singapore/Malaysia. It's comfort food for many people because of warm soup and meaty pork ribs. There are different kinds of bak kuh teh - some are more pepper-ish, some got more herb-y taste. It usually comes in a convenient packet, so it's very easy to prepare. You live outside of Malaysia/Singapore? No worries. You can get the packet for $3.40 at 100Plus Asian Market. :)
Ingredients:Pork ribs - 1 lbs
Garlic - 12 cloves (with skin)
water - 1.5L
Bak kuh teh packet - 1
Bok choy - 4 pieces
[Pork ribs marinade]
Dark soy sauce - 3 TBS
Salt & Pepper - 1 tsp each
- Even though it's not necessary, I personally like to marinade meat for soup. So combine the meat with the pork ribs marinade. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Separate garlic into individual cloves, but skin intact.
- Cut the stem off bok choy, separate and washed.
|Marinaded pork ribs|
|I used two packets (double the recipe)|
- In a large pot, bring 1.5L water to boil. Add in bak kuh teh packet and garlic and boil for couple of minutes.
- Add in marinated meat. Let it cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Taste the soup after 35 minutes and adjust the taste. Leave the packet inside the pot (the longer you put in, the soup will be more herb-y taste).
- Couple of minutes before serving, add in bok choy veggies in the pot. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl, and eat with rice. Drink up the awesome soup!
- It's usually eaten with yu tiao (Chinese style donut). You can eat with noodles, too.
- If you don't like the taste of the soup, try another brand. Different brand have different taste. When we made ours, we combined the two brands and it turned out great.
- You can also put other ingredients like shiitake mushrooms.