I've never been to P.F. Changs, but I heard a lot about the 'lettuce wrap.' I had chicken and lettuce in my fridge, so I wanted to give a shot. I also had left over san tung chicken sauce so I used it instead of the sauce listed in the original recipe from food.com. If you try the original recipe, please let me know how it turns out. :)
Ingredients:Chicken breasts - 2 (cubed)
Mushroom - 1 cup (any kinds of mushroom work)
Onion - 1/2 cup (chopped finely)
Garlic - 2 cloves (minced)
Ginger - 1 inch cube (minced)
Tofu (silken or medium firm) - 1 cup (*see TIPS)
Corn starch - 1 TBS
Water - 1 TBS
Lettuce - as much as you need (*see TIPS)
San Tung sauce - 1/2 cup
[Stir-fry Sauce for chicken]
Soy sauce - 2 TBS
Brown sugar - 2 TBS
Rice vinegar - 1/2 tsp
[Special Sauce for drizzling]
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Soy sauce - 2 TBS
Rice vinegar - 2 TBS
Ketchup - 2 TBS
Lemon juice - 1 TBS
Sesame oil - 1/8 tsp
Garlic and red chili paste (to ban jan) - 1-2 tsp
|For special sauce|
- Cut chicken into cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Set it aside.
- Cut other ingredients: mushroom, garlic, ginger, onion and tofu.
- Mix the stir-fry sauce in a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients for special sauce in a pot. Mix well.
- Separate and wash lettuce
|Wash lettuce and pat dry with paper towel|
- In a wok or frying pan, heat 1-2 TBS of olive oil. Fry onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add chicken and fry until almost cooked. Add in mushroom and fry for few more minutes.
- Add in the stir fry sauce or 1/2 cup of san tung sauce. Adjust the taste by adding salt/pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine water and corn starch. Add to the chicken mixture. Let it thicken a bit.
- Serve a spoonful of chicken on a lettuce.
- Drizzle special sauce on top and take a bite!
- Romaine lettuce is a good substitution to Iceberg lettuce - got more nutrition in it and give extra crunch. :)
- The original recipe called for water chestnut, which will give a dish a nice crunch!
- Tofu makes this dish 'healthy'