|It tastes better than it looks (I promise)!|
When we were students in Utah, we tried all sorts of jello salads & desserts. Some were really good (like this recipe we got from our Utah family) and some were... let's say, 'interesting.' This jello is more like a dessert, but I don't mind having it as a salad, too! Our very good friends in Utah made this for Thanksgiving dinner one time and ever since then, we make it every Thanksgiving & Christmas (and other special occasions).
Ingredients:Mini Pretzels - 2 and 1/2 cups (crushed)
Butter - 3/4 cup
Sugar - 2 TBS
Cool whip - 1 small tub (8 oz) **see TIPS
Cream cheese - 1 (8 oz) **see TIPS
Sugar - 2/3 cup
Strawberry or Raspberry Jello - 1 box (6 oz)
Hot water - 2 cups
Strawberries - 2 cups (sliced)
Crushed pineapple - 1 can small
- Put pretzels in a Ziplock bag. Use rolling pin and crush them.
- Take Cool Whip and cream cheese out of the fridge/freezer and let it soften.
- Slice strawberries.
- Open pineapple can, but do NOT drain.
|Crush pretzel with rolling pin|
|Cubed butter will melt evenly|
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a microwavable bowl, heat butter for 45 seconds. It should be somewhat melted and soft. Mix crushed pretzels, butter and sugar. Press down on 13"x9" pan. Bake in a preheated oven for 7 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- In a Kitchenaid or in a bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar (2/3 cup). Blend it until smooth. Add in Cool Whip and mix together. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl occasionally. Cream cheese tends to stick to the bottom. Mix until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on the pretzel. Cover and keep it in the fridge.
- In a separate bowl, combine jello and hot water. Let the jello powder melt. Add in crushed pineapple can and mix. Let the jello sit in the room temperature for an hour, or in the fridge for 20 minutes (let the jello sit a bit).
- Take out the cream cheese/pretzel, and add sliced strawberries on top of cream cheese layer. Slowly add in jello mixture on top of the strawberries. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
|Before going into the oven|
|After 7 minutes in 400 F|
|Let jello sit for a while|
|Pretzel + Cream cheese layer|
|Blurry picture of three layers from the side|
- Just scoop it out and enjoy! It can get messy, see TIPS for some option.
|It serves 12 good size portions|
- You can make your own whipped cream instead of Cool whip. Just add 8 oz of it.
- You can use low fat cream cheese and whipped cream. It gives lighter cream cheese layer, and still tastes good!
- If you want a clean scoop, line your baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Let the paper or foil come out of the pan a bit so you can lift them up later. You can also use spring-form pans. You can also make individual cupcake.