October is probably my husband's favorite month because there's Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii. My husband has already decided to retire in Hawaii. Yup. So since we won't be able to make it to Kona this year, the least we could do was to eat Hawaiian food. Loco moco = Meat patty + Rice + Egg + Brown gravy. You can have it simple or you can add more toppings. This time we did meaty loco moco. We miss you, Hawaii!
Ingredients:Rice - however much you want to eat (Japanese rice/short-grain rice)
Brown gravy - about 3 cups (depends how much you want to pour over your rice)
Milk - 1/3 cup
Eggs - 4 (one for each person or more if you desire)
Hamburger patties - 4 **see TIPS
SPAM - 1 can (sliced)
Bacon - 8 slices
[For those who want to add some greens]
Spinach - 3 handful/1 bunch
White mushroom - 2 cups (sliced)
Katsu - see Katsudon recipe (chicken or pork)
Broccoli - 1 head (bite size pieces, blenched and lightly salted)
Italian sausage or Portuguese sausage
- Make hamburger patties if you are making your own. See TIPS.
- Cut SPAM
- Cut mushrooms and set it aside
- Cook rice.
- In a frying pan, fry bacon until your desired crunchiness. Take it out on a paper-toweled plate. Drain some bacon fat, but not all.
- Using some bacon fat (about 1 TBS), fry SPAM until the edges get crunchy - about 2 minutes each side.
- On the same pan, fry hamburger patties.
- Meanwhile, prepare brown gravy (follow the packaging). Add in milk and stir well.
- On another frying pan or clean frying pan, heat 1/2 TBS of olive oil. Fry mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add in spinach and fry for another minutes. Lightly salt (1/2 tsp).
- Fry egg on frying pan, 1 minute on one side and 45 seconds on the other. You want the egg yolks to be runny.
- On a plate, scoop rice. Place the toppings on top of the rice. The top should be the egg.
- Pour brown gravy on top of the rice.
- You can use store-bought hamburger patties, or you can try Italian sausage patties (or 50/50).
- Easy hamburger recipe: ground beef (1/2 lbs), panko (1/4 cup), egg white (1), salt & pepper (1 tsp each), Paprika or other herbs if you wish to add.