It's time for a new recipe! In my fridge, I had tofu and pork, so I thought hmm... what can I do different... This was a trial run. There are few things I would change and I wrote those changes down in the recipes. Let me know how yours turned out!
Ingredients:Tofu - 1 block (silken soft)
Ground pork - 1 cup **see TIPS
Chinese sausage - 2 (chopped)
Ginger - 1 TBS (minced)
Garlic - 3 cloves (minced)
Green onion - 2 stalks (chopped)
Light soy sauce - 2 tsp **see TIPS
Oyster sauce - 1 TBS
Sugar - 3/4 TBS
Salt & Pepper - to taste
Corn starch - 1 TBS **see TIPS
Water - 1 TBS
- Chop Chinese sausage in small pieces.
- Mince garlic and ginger. Chop green onion.
- Make corn starch slurry - mix corn starch and water. Set it aside.
- Take the tofu out from the package and put it on the coriander or paper towel to drain moisture.
|[please ignore the sponge bob frozen yogurt on the right]|
- Get the steamer going.
- Heat 1 TBS of oil the wok or frying pan. Fry garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add ground pork. Fry for couple of minutes. Add in Chinese sausage pieces. Fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add in sauce ingredients. Adjust the taste. Mix in corn starch slurry. Let it thicken a bit. Turn the heat off. (We like it soupy, but if you like it thicker, add more slurry)
- On a steam-safe dish, place tofu in the middle of the dish. Steam the tofu for 5 minutes. Pour the pork gravy over the pork and steam for another 5 minutes.
|Add in corn starch slurry and let it thicken|
- Sprinkle green onion on tofu.
- Serve over hot rice.
- I used thinly cut pork, but it wasn't as kid-friendly. Ground pork pours easier than chunks of meat.
- Use light soy sauce if you have, but if you don't, just use regular soy sauce 1 tsp (or more if you prefer saltier taste)
- Corn starch slurry doesn't make the soup thick right away, so don't add a lot all at once. Put 1 TBS mixture first and let it thicken a bit.