Few months ago I posted a recipe for wild rice soup. This is another version, stuffed with more ingredients. I also added less flour so it's not as thick as last time. We like this version better -- probably because of the 'umami' from mushrooms. (The soup looks like the previous one, so I didn't take the picture. Sorry!)
Ingredients:Chicken breast - 1
Chicken stock - 4 cups
Water - 2 cups
Quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet - 1 (6 ounce)
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup (or more if you like)
Onion - 1/2 med (chopped)
White Mushroom - 5 large (chopped)
Seasoning for chicken (Taco or carne asada seasoning) - 1 TBS
Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick)
Salt & Pepper - 1/2 tsp each (or more, depending on your taste)
Flour - 2-3 TBS taken out from 1/2 cup
Milk - 2 cups
- Cook chicken breast for 10-15 minutes in boiling water. Shred it and mix with taco seasoning or carne asada seasoning.
- Cut onion and mushroom into cubes.
- Take the seasoning packet from the quick cooking rice box.
- Combine flour, salt & pepper.
- In a 5-quart pot, heat chicken stock, water and chicken until boil.
- Turn off the heat once it's boiled. Add in long grain and wild rice (not the seasoning packet). Cover and set it aside. Make sure the heat is off.
- In another pot, heat 1 TBS of olive oil. Fry onion and mushroom for 5 minutes. Add to the chicken stock mixture.
- Add 1/2 stick of butter on the pot used for mushroom/onion. Once it's melted, add in the seasoning from the rice box. Mix until bubbly. Add in flour mixture all at once. Mix constantly to form a ball. Slowly, add in milk. Keep stirring using whisk so the milk will incorporate well with the flour mixture.
- Add the milk mixture and mixed vegetable to chicken stock/water/chicken mixture.
- Heat for 20 minutes over medium-low heat. Don't let it boil - simmer.
- Serve with butter-garlic-toast: Heat 1 TBS of butter onto frying pan. Fry bread for 2 minutes on one side, turn with more butter. Sprinkle garlic powder on top. Fry until edges are nice and brown. Serve while it's hot.