I tried many recipes for bread that's soft in the inside, but nice and crunchy on the outside. This recipe works well with bread sticks or burger buns/hot dog buns. It's so simple, you don't have to buy bread sticks anymore!
Ingredients:Milk or half & half - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Butter - 2 TBS
White sugar - 3 TBS
Active dry yeast - 1 envelope (.25 ounce or 2 and 1/2 tsp)
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
Bread flour or all-purpose flour - 5 1/2 cups
[Brushing & Topping]
Egg - 1
Water - 1 TBS
Italian seasoning [optional]
Sesame seeds [optional for burger buns or hot dog buns]
Garlic salt or fresh minced garlic with butter
- In a saucepan, warm up milk, water (1 cup) and 2 TBS of butter until butter melts. Let it cool down a bit so it's not too hot (little bit more than lukewarm).
- In a large bowl (Kitchenaid bowl if you are using it), add sugar, yeast, salt and flour. Slowly, add in the milk/water solution as you knead the bread (or use Kitchenaid kneading hook).
- Let it knead for 8 minutes with electric ones or 10 minutes with hands.
- Take the dough out, oil the bowl and return the dough. Cover with wet cloth and put in a warm place for about an hour (until it gets big! about twice the size) *See TIPS
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Separate the dough twelve parts for hamburger buns, or 24 parts for bread sticks. Shape any way you want. Let it rise for another 15 minutes.
- Mix egg and water (1 TBS) and brush the top of the bread. Sprinkle whatever toppings you want on top after brushing.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Leave them on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before serving.
|Braiding the bread sticks|
|for this, we put cheese, Italian seasoning|
- Serve warm, but not right out of the oven.
- If you want sweeter bread, add more sugar
- If you can't wait for an hour, you can use the dough right away after kneading. Shape them and let it rise for 15-20 minutes.