When it's hot outside and you want something refreshing, this dish is highly recommended! Or if you are craving for something sour, this dish will satisfy your crave (for sure!). It was introduced to us by one of our Japanese friends in college. It's great to have friends who can cook. This is very simple to make and you can make it in less than 30 minutes.
Ingredients:Udon - for 4 ppl (if you are using individual package udon, use 4)
Beef - 200g (half a pound)
Umeboshi - 4-5 pieces (or more if you want it sour)
Tofu - 2/3 package
Green onion - 3 stalks
Ginger - (optional) 1 TBS
Mentsuyu (sauce for noodles) - 1 and half cups
White sesame - for garnish
Salt & Pepper
- Make umeboshi paste by taking out seed from each umeboshi piece and chop it finely with knife. (or you can use a blender).
- Cut beef in thin slices (or cube if you prefer). Marinade beef with 2 TBS soy sauce, pinch of salt, dash of pepper, 1 tsp sesame oil, (optional grated ginger) and 1 TBS of sugar. Set it aside for 30 min - 1 hour.
- Prepare udon (boil it or follow instruction on the packet).
- Cut tofu into cubes (not too small, about 1/2 inch cube)
- Chop green onion.
- Heat frying pan with 1 TBS of oil. Stir fry beef until cooked.
- In a big bowl, put prepared udon, green onion, beef and umeboshi. Mix well.
- Add in mentsuyu, 1 TBS of sugar and tofu. Don't over mix it (don't break tofu). Adjust the taste by adding salt, pepper, and soy sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seed
- Serve with miso soup and/or simple salad.
- You can serve this dish warm by first warm up mentsuyu in a saucepan or microwave.
- You can also sprinkle each bowl with tofu, if you don't want tofu to break.
- You can also substitute beef with other meat (chicken, pork, ground meat, can tuna, etc)