Even though I left Japan many years ago, I can still remember the taste of some of my favorite dishes. This is one of those dishes. I don't remember the name of the restaurant or its location, but I vividly remember the taste of it. This recipe reminded me of the old taste I love. Enjoy!
Ingredients:Beef - 300-400g (thin sliced or chunk meat)
Onion - 1 (sliced)
Mushroom - 2 cups (sliced)
Garlic - 1 clove (minced)
Butter - 3 TBS
Flour - 3 TBS (separate, 1 TBS & 2 TBS)
Ketchup - 4 TBS
Worcestershire sauce - 3 TBS **see TIPS
Beef broth - 400mL (2 cups water + 1 cube beef stock cube)
Milk or heavy cream - 1/2 cup **see TIPS
Vinegar - 1/2 TBS
Sugar - 1 TBS (optional)
Salt & pepper - to taste
- Cut up (or separate) meat into bite size pieces. Season with salt, pepper and 1 TBS of flour. Set it aside.
- Slice onion and mushroom. Mince the garlic.
- Combine hot water and beef stock cube and melt.
- In a pot, melt 3 TBS of butter. Stir fry garlic and onion until fragrant.
- Add in beef. Fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add mushroom and stir fry for a minute longer.
- Add in 2 TBS of flour and mix well with onion/beef.
- Slowly add in beef broth. Mix as you go. It should thicken a bit. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for another 10 minutes (stir occasionally).
- Add in milk, vinegar, and sugar. Mix well. Taste it and adjust to your liking.
|Stir-fry garlic and onion until fragrant|
|Add in flour and mix well|
|Add beef broth gradually|
- Serve with butter garlic rice, pasta, or bread.
- If you don't have Worcestershire sauce, you can try tonkatsu sauce.
- For milk, you can use heavy cream or half & half.