|It looks a bit white because I ended my top layer with only cheese mixture. Make sure to end with enough meat mixture!|
This is one of my husband's favorite dishes. I love it when he request what he wants to eat for dinner. I always ask him "dinner nani tabetai?" (what do you want to eat for dinner?) and usually I get, "nandemo ii" (anything's fine) but once in a while he tells me what he wants, which makes things easier!
Ingredients:Ground beef (or turkey) - 1 lbs
Italian sausage - 1 lbs
Can tomatoes (diced) - 2
Tomato paste - 1/2 can (small can)
Ketchup or tomato sauce - 1/3 cup
Sugar - 3 TBS
Onion - 1 (chopped finely)
Garlic - 3 cloves (minced)
Carrots - 1 cup (chopped finely)**see TIPS
Butter - 2 TBS
Egg - 1 (beaten)
Ricotta or Cottage cheese - 2 cups (**see TIPS)
Mozzarella cheese - a lot
Lasagna noodle - enough to make one 9 by 13 baking dish (1 box of lasagna noodles is enough)
- Chop onion, garlic and carrots finely.
- Take the outer layer out for Italian sausage so you have the ground meat version of the sausage.
- Open all the cans for easy cooking.
- Mix egg, ricotta/cottage cheese and 1tsp of salt and dash of pepper in a bowl. Refrigerate until later use.
- Boil the lasagna noodles and set it on aluminum foil so it won't stick (see TIPS).
- In a big pot, melt butter. Add onion and garlic. Fry for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add in carrots. Fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add in ground beef and sausage. Break the big chunks of meat into smaller size. Brown it for about 5 minutes, stirring to make sure it won't stick to the pot.
- Add in 1tsp of salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cans of tomatoes, 1/2 can of tomato paste, sugar and ketchup or tomato sauce. Mix well and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture will start to dry up a bit. Taste the sauce and adjust to your liking. Add in water if the mixture is too dry or the taste is too strong.
- While waiting for the sauce to be done, preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Use 9 by 13 baking dish. Line the bottom layer with 1. lasagna noodle. Followed by 2. meat mixture, 3. cottage cheese mixture and then 4. handful of mozzarella cheese. Repeat the 4 steps until you fill the whole pan and end with mozzarella cheese (don't end with noodles, it'll dry up). Add extra mozzarella cheese on top for gooey goodness.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes and check. If the top is turning brown, cover with foil and cook for another 10 minutes. If it's not browned yet, you don't have to cover.
|Fry onion, carrots and garlic|
|Add in all the tomatoes (sauce, diced, ketchup, etc) + sugar|
|The pot is too small, so I recommend using a bigger one (than 5 quarts)|
|Consistency should be like meat sauce|
- Take out the pan (and don't forget to turn off the oven!) and cool it for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with bread sticks or salad.
|It doesn't show the layers well because we didn't wait before serving. So wait for 10 minutes, and it'll be easier to cut|
- Use turkey/chicken meat for healthier option
- If you are not a big fan of cottage cheese, just add one cup (or 1 and half) of cottage cheese and 1/2 to 1 cup of sour cream. It gives smooth texture to that layer.
- Some store sells 'no-boil' lasagna noodles, which saves you time!
- If you want your family to eat more veggies, you can sneak in mushrooms, celery, and green bell peppers (all chopped up finely!) They won't know it's there.