Japanese food is pretty to look at and maybe that's why it tastes good. :) The first part of this dish is called'san shoku' (三色）because it has three colors. It usually comes with ground pork (brown), eggs (yellow), and nori (black). But you can make different combinations such as salmon (pink/orange), spinach (green), carrots (orange), and many other options.
Ingredients:Ground pork - 1 lbs
Soy sauce - 3 TBS
Mirin - 2 TBS
Sugar - 2 TBS
Salt & Pepper - pinch
Water - 2 TBS
Eggs - 4 (beaten)
Spinach - 1 bunch
Shiitake mushroom - 1 cup
Soy sauce - 1 TBS
Mirin - 1/2 TBS
Sugar - 1/2 TBS
Japanese rice - 2 cups
- Beat eggs. Add pinch of salt and white pepper. Set it aside.
- Wash spinach and cut the hard ends.
- Soak mushroom in warm water if you're using dried ones. Cut into thin slices.
- Cook the rice.
|Wash spinach and cut off the hard ends|
|Beaten eggs with salt & pepper|
- [Pork] Heat 1 TBS oil in a wok. When it's hot, fry ground pork and stir well (you don't want big chunks of ground meat together). Add in soy sauce, fry for 2 minutes. Add in mirin, fry for another 2 minutes. Add sugar, salt and pepper and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add in water at the end and stir/simmer until the meat almost dries up. Dish it out.
- [Mushrooms] on the same frying pan, heat 1/2 TBS of oil. Add in mushroom and the sauce for mushrooms. Let it simmer for about 3-4 minutes. Take it out.
- [Spinach] Wipe the wok with paper towel. Heat 1 TBS of oil, add in spinach when the wok is hot. Season it with salt (pinch). Take it out after 1 minute or so.
- [Eggs] Wipe the wok again. Brush on enough oil to coat the wok. When it's hot, add in thin layer of beaten eggs. Let it cook for 30 minutes. Turn it using spatula or chopstick. Cook for another 20-30 seconds. Take it out and repeat (from brushing) for the rest of the egg mixture. **See TIPS
|Big chunks of meat...|
|Broken down to smaller pieces like this!|
|Fry egg by thin layers or scrambled style|
- In a bowl or in a bento box, fill rice until half full. Place spinach, pork, eggs and mushroom (in this order, so that colors won't clash) on top of the rice.
- Serve with hot miso soup.
- For healthier option, you can use ground chicken or ground turkey (or mixture of different meats).
- Eggs - you can also make scrambled egg style to match the ground pork. Just pour the whole egg mixture in and stir occasionally until cooked.
- Some families prefer 'sweet' egg. If you want to make sweet egg, just add 2 tsp of sugar instead of salt, and add a dash of dashi with 1 TBS of water. Cook the same way.