One of my favorite things to do is to look up recipes of one dish and do a mental cooking. I take what sounds good to me and mix up the recipes. I also like to read reviews of the recipes. This dish is a combination of three different recipes. It turned out better than I expected. :)
Ingredients:Chicken breasts - 4
Taco seasoning packet -1/2 packet
Onion - 2 small or 1 med (sliced)
Garlic - 2 cloves (minced)
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Sour cream - 1 cup
Cream of chicken soup - 2 cans
Milk - 1/4 cup
Diced Green chili - 1 (4oz) can
Salt & Pepper - dash
Green pepper - 1/2 med (chopped)
Whole wheat tortilla (dozen - 6'')
Cheese (Mexican/cheddar) -1 cup or more
- [Chicken] Defrost chicken breast. On a microwave safe dish, place chicken breast with 1/3 cup water. Cover with microwave safe cover or wrap and cook it for 4 minutes. Let it cool for few minutes. **see TIPS
- Slice onion into thin slices and mince garlic.
- Mix soup and sour cream. Add in milk,1/4 cup of water and salt & pepper. Add in diced green chili.
- Chop green pepper. Set it aside for later use.
|4 Chicken breasts + 1/3 cup of water|
|Shredded chicken breasts|
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- When the chicken is cooled a bit, shred it using forks.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat 1 TBS of butter or olive oil. Fry onion slices and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir consistently to avoid burning.
- Add in shredded chicken to onion. Fry for about a minute. Add in lemon juice and 1/2 packet of Taco seasoning (or more if you like stronger flavor).
- Add in 1/4 cup of soup mixture to chicken. Let it simmer for couple of minutes. Turn off heat and set it aside.
- Use 13 by 9 or 12 by 8 baking safe dish (glass or metal ones are fine).
- Spread 1/4 cup of soup mixture on the bottom of the pan/dish. Line it with one tortilla.
- You'll use two 6'' tortilla for one roll. You put about 1 TBS of soup mixture between the tortilla so it will stick to each other. Put another 1 TBS of soup mixture, followed by a cup of chicken &onion. Wrap/roll the tortillas and place them in the pan, the open side facing down. Repeat for the rest of the tortillas.
- Pour rest of the soup mixture on top, top with lots of cheese and chopped green onion.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, leave enchiladas in the oven (turned off oven) for 10 minutes. Take it out, let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
|I used smaller dish (about 12 by 8) so only made 5 rolls|
- Serve with salsa (the recipe will be on the blog soon!) and lots of chopped lettuce.
- To cook the chicken, you can also boil them for 4-6 minutes.
- Leftover Rotisserie chicken? You can use it for this recipe.