I LOVE Caesar salad. It's my favorite salad and I can eat many servings of it. I made my own Caesar dressing once, but it didn't taste quite the same, so I need to work on that recipe more. I found the dressing and it was very yummy. This post is for sweet roll croutons.
Ingredients:Hawaiian sweet rolls - 4 rolls *see TIPS
Olive oil - 1 and half TBS
Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
Dried Basil or parsley - 1 tsp
Garlic powder - 1 tsp
Salt - pinch
Romaine lettuce - 1 head (chopped & washed)
Grated Parmesan cheese - as much as you like, usually about 1/2 cup for 1 head of lettuce
Your favorite Caesar salad dressing
|It's yummy, plus the company gives all their profits to charity! What an awesome dressing!|
- Cut the Hawaiian rolls into 1/2 inch (or smaller, depending on how big you want your croutons to be) chunks. Leave it on a kitchen counter for 30 minutes. If you are rushing, you can skip the leaving on the counter part.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
|I like my croutons big, but cut it to the size you like - even different shapes!|
- Turn the broiler on, or if you want to use oven instead, turn up to 400 F. You can also use oven toaster if you have one (I want one!)
- On a prepared baking sheet, toss cut-up rolls with the rest of the ingredients. The pieces should be wet from olive oil and it should cover the whole piece.
- [Broiling] Broil it for 2-3 minutes, use spatula to turn the croutons and broil for another 1-2 minutes. Make sure you don't burn them. :) Keep tossing. Turn off the broiler, cover with aluminum foil and leave it in for 5-7 minutes to dry out.
- [Baking] Bake in 400F oven for 3-4 minutes, turn using spatula and bake for another 4-5 minutes. It should turn golden brown. Turn the oven off, cover with aluminum foil and let it dry out.
|Toss with your hands so you can make sure each piece gets the good stuff on|
|Watch the oven - multitasking will lead to croutons like the one above. :)|
- Toss cut romaine lettuce with cheese. Pour desired amount of dressing. Toss. Sprinkle with homemade croutons. Do this just right before you eat.
- No Hawaiian rolls? No worries! It works with any kind of bread/rolls. If you are using regular toast bread, use 5 slices.