This tomato soup turned out really yummy and flavorful. It goes perfectly with grilled cheese sandwich (my craving these days) or with toasted bread sticks or sour dough. Fresh basil leaves definitely give deeper flavor than the dried ones.
Ingredients:Tomatoes - 12 regular or 15 Roma tomatoes (5 lbs)
Garlic - 8-10 cloves (minced)
Olive oil - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1 large
Chicken stock - 2 cups
Water - 1/2 cup
Paprika - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Pepper - 1 tsp
Crushed red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
Heavy whipping cream - 1/2 cup
Fresh basil - few leaves (chopped)
- Cut tomatoes in half (or quarter if using bigger tomatoes). Take out the seeds.
- Mince garlic. Combine with 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Cut onion into cubes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss tomatoes in garlic/oil. Put it a baking dish big enough (should be single layer, but you can use 13 by 9 pan).
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set it aside. **see TIPS
- In a pot (larger than 5 quart), heat 1 TBS of oil. Fry chopped onion until tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, water, and all the seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process/puree soup until smooth. Pour back into the pot.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and make sure to heat through (put on low for 5-7 minutes).
- Garnish soup with fresh basil and sprinkle of paprika.
- Serve with fresh bread sticks or grilled cheese sandwich.
- If you prefer a smoother soup texture or if you don't have super powerful blender, peel off the skin from the tomatoes after roasting. Take out from the oven, cool slightly and peel off.