For special occasions, we like to eat steak. In our family, only my husband can make perfect steak. This time he used Momofuku cookbook to read up on different cuts of meat (whereas me... I don't know the difference between dry aged and regular meat.) and methods of preparing the steaks. I love it when he cooks -- especially when he makes steak! He made steak on Father's Day and he prepared three different cuts of meat. It was delicious. :) Thank you, hubby!
- Dry aged rib-eye steak
- Dry aged New York steak
- New York steak
Garlic - 3 cloves
[Caramelized onions]**see TIPS
Sweet onion - 2
Butter - 2 TBS
|He used Kuching black pepper all the way from Singapore!|
- Season the steak (liberally) with sea salt and pepper (According to Momofuku chef, "salt like you'd salt a sidewalk in New York in the winter."). Set it aside in the room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Slice onions for caramelized onions.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- [Caramelized onions] On a pan, melt 2 TBS of butter. Add onions and stir continuously until golden brown. The volume of the onion will decrease significantly. Don't let it sit in the pan or it will get burnt. Continue stirring for about 20-25 minutes on medium low heat.
- [Steaks] Heat the pan. When the pan is good and hot, steak should sizzle aggressively when it touches the pan. Brown the steak. (Don't touch it or press the meat!)
- After a minute, take a peek. Seared side should be golden brown. Flip it. Sear the other side for one more minutes.
- Stand the steak up on the side for 30 seconds and do the same on the other side.
- Put the steak in oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Return the pan to the stove top over low heat. Add the butter and garlic to the pan. As soon as butter melts, start basting: Use one hand to tilt the pan up at a 45-degree angle and , with the other hand, use a very large spoon to scoop up butter from the pool in the pan and spoon it over the steak. Continue for a minute.
- To test the steak, use metal stick like cake tester. Insert it sideways in the middle, and take it out and touch it with your lower lips. For medium rare, it should be warm to your touch. If it's too hot, it's well-done.
- Take out the steak and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Enjoy your steak with caramelized onion, salad, fries, or any of your favorite sides (or just enjoy the meat.)
- Add white mushrooms to the onion adds different flavor.
- No grill? No griddle? No worries. Frying pan can actually cook good steak.