My daughter and I went to Costco today around noon, which was a perfect time for food sampling! They were having the pasta sauce sample - Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce. My food taster (aka my daughter) loved it! So I bought it. :) It goes really well with Italian breadcrumbs-crusted chicken, which can be either pan fried or baked.
Ingredients:Penne pasta - 3 cups (measured when uncooked)
Butternut squash sauce - 2 cups
Onion - 1 small (sliced)
Red/Yellow pepper - 2 cups (sliced)
Garlic - 2 cloves (minced)
Chicken - 2 breasts
Italian Breadcrumbs -2 cups **see TIPS
Eggs - 2 (beaten)
Flour - to coat chicken
Salt & Pepper
Butter - 2 TBS
- Flatten chicken breasts slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat chicken with flour, egg and then roll on breadcrumbs. Set it aside.
- Cook Penne pasta according to package instruction.
- Cut veggies in strips (about 2-inch in length)
- If you are baking chicken, line baking pan with parchment paper. Coat it with olive oil.
|Blending panko with Italian seasoning|
- [Chicken bake] Preheat the oven to 375 F. Bake chicken for 7 minutes, then turn to the other side and bake for another 8 minutes or golden brown. Take it out of the oven and let it sit in the pan.
- [Chicken pan fry] Coat pan with 2 TBS of olive oil. Fry one side of the chicken for 3-5 minutes. Turn and fry for another 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn the heat off, cover the pan and leave the chicken in the pan until later use.
- On a frying pan, heat butter until melted. Fry onion until fragrant and somewhat transparent.
- Add in red/yellow peppers in and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add in Butternut squash sauce. Let it bring to boil. Then turn the heat off. Set it aside.
- In a bowl, put penne pasta and top it with baked/pan fried pasta, then pour the butternut squash sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese if you want. :)
- If you don't have Italian breadcrumbs, but Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) instead, you can blend 2 cups of Japanese breadcrumbs with 1 TBS of Italian seasoning.