In Big Island Hawaii (which is one of our favorite places to visit!), there's a thing called sweet bread french toast. Hawaii is known for their sweet bread, which is yummylicious. And you french toast them!! Sweet bread + eggs = awesome food. So we tried to recreate the dish so we can feel like we are in Hawaii. And we just found out that Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream goes perfectly with the french toast. It's super high in calories, but hey, we deserve it once in a while, yea?
Ingredients:Eggs - 3 (beaten)
Cinnamon - 1 tsp
Hawaiian sweet rolls - 4-5 (cut in half so it's rectangle in shape)
Butter - 1 TBS
Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream - however much you want
Powdered sugar - for dusting on top
Strawberries & raspberries
- Cut the rolls in half to make rectangle shape.
- Beat eggs and mix cinnamon in.
- Take out the ice cream so it won't be too hard to scoop out.
- On a frying pan or grill, heat butter, 1/2 TBS at a time.
- Soak the rolls in egg mixture. Make sure you cover all sides.
- When the pan/grill is ready (you can test by splashing water on it and if it sizzles, it's ready!), fry one side for about 2 minutes. Using your spatula, check if it's nicely brown. Turn and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- On the french toast, dust powdered sugar and give a big scoop of ice cream on top.
- Serve with berries if you want - it goes really well together. :)