In our family, we don't have turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We have prime rib instead! We like bone-in so we can use the bones as stock for soup. It's hearty and the best part is, you get to finish your leftovers! So give prime rib a chance for your next holiday dinner. :)
Ingredients:Prime Rib bones with some meat on - 4 big bones (cut in half)
Water - 4 quart
Roma Tomatoes - 3 small or 2 med (wedges)
Potatoes - 3 med (wedges)
Carrots - 3 small or 2 med (wedges)
Onion - 1 med (cubed)
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut the prime rib bones in half (or in threes if you prefer smaller pieces). If you don't have knife strong enough to cut the bones, just put the whole bones in (don't destroy your knife!)
- Wash and cut all veggies. Set aside.
- Heat 4 quart water in 5 quart (or bigger) pot. Bring to boil.
- Add in prime rib bones & meat and onion. Cover and boil for 10 minutes under high heat. You might need to open the lid half way through.
- Turn down the heat to medium heat. Add in carrots. Let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Turn down the heat to medium low, add in carrots and tomatoes. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. I cooked it for about an hour on low heat.
- Taste the soup. Add salt & pepper if you like.
- Serve with warm bread sticks or side of rice will be nice, too.